Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Movement Mechanism for Twemco QD-35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movement Mechanism for Twemco QD-35

Hi there,
    After 15 years the movement mechanism in my Twemco QD-35 has recently stopped working.
    I can still hear it ticking but doesn't appear to be turning the cogs.
    I've tried opening it up to identify the problem but can't see any issue.
    I've also looked online for a replacement mechanism but this one appears to be an unusual size/model.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
    Where can I get a replacement mechanism?
    Or, are there any ideas for repairing Mechanism?

Appreciate any help :-)
    Thank you,
    Ra

I have heard that Twemco are reasonably responsive themselves (they still exist) and that they helped someone out with some spares for a new-ish clock so I would try them first, perhaps they can set you up with a new mechanism. If you can get an original new one, I would not mess about with the one that you have, only if you have no other options although it might be nice to find out what failed eventually.

Comment

• ra.skill
      ra.skill commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you FLIPOCLOCK,
      I have emailed Twemco, hopefully they can replace the movement mechanism.
      I appreciate your advice and reply :-)

I fixed serval QD-35 with the same problem. Firstly, I contacted with Twemco, then they replied the following information to me,

"This issue is likely caused by the aging of the small gear that drives the minute hand. Please check if there are any small cracks at the base of the gear. You can refer to the attached image for reference."

Click image for larger version  Name:	cracked_minute_gear_shaft.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	30476

For me, I tried 2 differen ways to fix it
    1. Disassemble the clock movement, remove the damaged parts, and use instant glue to reattach the metal part to the plastic part.
    (Disassembling the movement requires a soldering iron, solder, and a desoldering pump.)
    2. Contact Twemco HK to purchase a QD-35 movement for replacement. (E-mail: info@twemco.com​)
    Last edited by eathan21th; 1 week ago.

Comment

Just in case it’s useful for UK based members, the Grayson guys are really helpful with enquiries too - but they do have stock movements.

Comment

• ra.skill
        ra.skill commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you ROYHENDO,
        After some googling I cam also came across this site, but they don't seam to have the part I need, it appears the movement in the QD-35 is quite unique... it's not the common square shaped movement in most clocks, this one is rectangular and about half the size. Googling around the net I've sadly found nothing of this shape :-(
        But many thanks for your advice and reply :-)

[QUOTE=eathan21th;n30475]"This issue is likely caused by the aging of the small gear that drives the minute hand. Please check if there are any small cracks at the base of the gear. You can refer to the attached image for reference."

Thank you EATHAN21TH,
      Just as you described, the minute hand gear has a small crack in it.... see image attached.
      Perhaps this is the issue?
      Although I have a feeling there more to the problem because the mechanism does not appear to be moving at all, even though I can hear it ticking?
      It's like the first "ticking" gear is being activated but not strong enough to tick over the other gears.
      Anyway, I'll try gluing the minute gear and see what happens.

Many thanks for your advice, it's wonderful to have this community :-)
      Regards,
      Ra

Comment

• eathan21th
        eathan21th commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe this issue accounts for over 90% of the problem.

• eathan21th
        eathan21th commented
        Editing a comment
        I attempted to repair two QD35 clock movements today. One is fixed, but the other remains broken. The broken one had been previously oiled and modified by the previous owner, and its PCB was also damaged, so I wasn't able to fix it.

Just a wee update.....
      I gave it my best shot and carefully glued the pieces back together and sealed the cack.....
      However it still wasn't ticking over after putting back together.
      Twemco has just replied to my email, so I'm going to order a replacement part at HKD$180. pretty reasonable if it gets me another 15~20 years.
      Wish I knew the reason why this old mechanism stopped working, I always like to repair things when I can... but I'm not a clock expert so I don't understand the finer details.
      Thanks again to everyone who replied on here and I hope this info is of use to others in the future.
      Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X